5 Things to look in a Real Estate Agent
Thursday Feb 01st, 2018
The Greater Toronto Area has many reputable real estate agents & brokers to choose from. However, you need an agent that can meet your buying/selling requirements with the utmost aptitude. Below are five of the imperative traits you should look for in a real estate agent or broker to help you with your real estate needs:
1. Experienced & Full time Realtor: This may come as a surprise to you but fact is that many of Real estate agents in greater Toronto area are part timers i.e. Real estate is their part time business along with their regular 9 to 5 job. Statistics show that approx. 60% of Realtors in GTA only sell 3 or fewer houses in a year. It is fine for a part timer as it is decent money along with a full time salary but what about the home Buyer or Seller? If you won’t let yourself be touched by a part time doctor, how can you let a part timer handle such a large transaction for you? There are 100s of Professional & reputed Real estate agents to choose from, who are 10+ Years in this business and are successful in making Real estate as their full time career. With so many Realtors around, everyone know atleast 2-3 real estate agents. If they're qualified based on above criterias, that is great as they're also someone you know but if they're not, then you're gambling with what may be one of the biggest investment of your life.
2. Availability: Clients often complain about the lack of communication with their respective agents. Among hundreds of professional full-time realtors, you may find someone who overloads themselves while handling 20 clients at a time. More can only be handled by giving lesser time to each, which may lead to compromises somewhere or they may let your important transaction being handled by their inexperienced subordinates. Subsequently, you may find realtors who choose to maintain a balance between their work and personal life, taking 3-4 clients at a time. Regardless of who your agent is, one should note that balanced individual realtors always take clientele business very seriously - for which they need time and availability.
3. Should be Proficient and Detail-Oriented: Well reasoned realtors will always listen to the needs of their clients and ensure that they can deliver to them with the utmost proficiency and professionalism. They will also pay close attention to details. Subsequently, when it comes to marketing your house for sale or finding your dream home, they will be aggressive to deliver fast results.
4. Should be Well-Versed with Technology: In today’s market, most home searches starts on Google or Yahoo. A real estate agent who uses technology to market seller/buyer products can present your property in a proficient database, open to a vast audience of interest.
Technology use also applies to digital signature softwares, whereby you will not have to take time away from your busy schedule, to arrange a lengthy meeting for signing documents, in addition to reviewing numerous offers/counteroffers, etc. Everything is digitally accessible from your personal electronic device. Signature softwares save much time and may be the difference between you getting or not getting deals done in a time-sensitive real estate market. Digital records can also be kept available for future reference. Did I mention paperless transactions are environment-friendly?
5. Do a Self-Reference Check: Do not hire any realtor simply because they are your friend or relative. Transactions of large sizes should be handled with the utmost professionalism. While being experienced in the field, they should also be customer service-oriented individuals, who are willing to go the extra mile to satisfy customer/clientele needs. Along with being sucessful, your choosen real estate broker should also have a good reputation. Try finding them on a search engine and see what comes up. Do not rely on any paid-rating websites, review their professional profile on reputable websites like Linkedin and take a look at their references. If you do not find anything, ask them to personally provide those references. Good realtors will have nothing to hide and past clients are the best referential for agent reviews.